Saturday, May 10, 2014

The Garden of my Dreams.

Throughout the entire semester I imagined myself in whatever garden style we were talking about. I would stroll through the formal baroque garden with my royal guard following quick behind or I would pace my renaissance gardens in thick robes and shabby philosophy book in my hands. Some would call these elaborate creations, daydreams, others, who would never be inclined to daydream during class would call them visual learning experiences. It is through these visual learning experiences that I found my ideal garden style.

The problem with determining a favorite style in a dream world is you’re not bound by worldly realities, such as monetary and geographical restrictions. It is for this reason I have two styles that most resonate with me, just in slightly different ways. 

My first inspiration comes from where I am from, California; the natural environment that I have access to is almost unparalleled. Vast pine forests dotted with soaring mountains, crisp rivers and raging waterfalls make up the surreal natural environment. Yosemite, Sequoia National Park, King’s Canyon, Mammoth Mountain and many other national wildlife reserves make up the Mid to Northern California region. When I imagine myself standing in a garden of my own creation with no restrictions what-so-ever, it is most often this sort of environment that comes to mind. A Landscape of pine with tall peaks and freshwater, rock-bottom rivers. Of course, without a massive expanse of land and generous financial capabilities the feasibility of a project like this is slim to none. However, the landscape style is still my favorite garden style given no restrictions.

If I live a totally average life, no 200 hectare tract of land in Northern California or $40,000,000 budget, just a comfortable, normal life, then I want a garden that is an escape from the mundane routine of normalcy. My garden would be vividly colorful and maze-like, akin to the arts and crafts gardens of Jekyll, although not so much Lutyens. I do not like anything extremely formal or geometrical. Fluid lines and blended colors can hide rooms, disguise passageways that lead to small enclaves of pools or statues. In some ways the mysticism of the garden is reminiscent of the renaissance garden, but the style is much more in line with the arts and crafts movement. While still slightly extravagant with all my childish hidden rooms and secret passage ways, this garden is much more realistic on an average consumer budget. 


Thus, the arts and crafts garden and the landscape garden are the gardens I most enjoy learning about, thinking about and would most enjoy owning. 

Image 1: http://www.backpacker.com/media/originals/YosemiteValleyFloorLoop165972.jpg
Image 2: http://dmblood.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54f900c8e8833014e8612f2a0970d-800wi
Image 3: http://elitedaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/enhanced-buzz-wide-8270-1336511389-8.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I think it is really interesting how our environment can influence the type of garden that we like. I live in a really suburban area at home, so I always loved when my family would take a trip to the forest, just to hike around or have a picnic. I think that really helped me to appreciate nature's simple beauty, which is reflected in my garden preferences. We both want similar garden styles, although I do like that you considered the practicality of making a huge landscape garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree and also found the arts and crafts style to be the most desirable garden for a future home. The informal aspects make each of these gardens appear more unique and individual than some of the other garden styles.

    ReplyDelete